Friday, April 21, 2017

When I Think of Research...

Dear Colleagues,
I would first like to thank you for visiting my blog this past semester. I appreciate your comments, questions, and knowledge that you all have shared with me. I have learned so much from each and everyone of you. I hope to see you back next semester. I wish you all much success!

Thank you,
Reyna Salas

  • What insights have you gained about research from taking this course?
The insights that I have gained about research from this course are confidence, knowledge, and more clarity. 
Before taking this class I did not really know the importance of taking the proper steps when conducting a research study. I also learned how to look for reliable sources and how to narrow down a research topic.
  • In what ways have your ideas about the nature of doing research changed?
My ideas about the nature of doing research has completely changed. Before this course, I did not know the meaning of many of the terms used and also the different types of methods that can be used. I can honestly say that I look at the nature of doing research with a whole new light and perspective.
  • What lessons about planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood did you learn?
The lessons that I learned about planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood are that  it can be done when planned and designed with caution and that research continues to benefit the early childhood field as we speak. Having a well thought out design and a topic that is not too broad and following the steps necessary and using the methods that best work greatly helps support the hypothesis of the study.
  • What were some of the challenges you encountered—and in what ways did you meet them?
At the beginning I felt somewhat unsure about the topic simulation that I wanted to pick, but as we went along and read more about research, I was able to change and modify my topic. Also, a lot of the information and the process of planning, designing, and doing research was all new to me so I felt that it was a lot of information to take in and process., but I was able to review the chapters and reading assignments as well as read other articles about research which helped me to break the information down and understand it more.   
  • What are some of the ways your perceptions of an early childhood professional have been modified as a result of this course?
I feel that I have a better understanding of all the work that it takes to do research and about how research is important to the early childhood field. The early childhood field is where it is because of research and its findings. 



10 comments:

  1. Reyna,
    It has been a please reading your posts. In the beginning I didn't understand the reason for the subtopic structure. I quickly realized the topics could make the research so broad that the researcher would lose site of the Topic at hand. I didn't relay care for the resource book for this course. The chapters toward the end were better defined in away I could understand what I was to learn.

    Camela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camela.
      At the beginning I also did not understand until I read more about it. I think that having a broad topic also can lead to more questions than answers. Thank you for sharing your ideas, thoughts, and the knowledge that you gained throughout this course.

      Reyna

      Delete
  2. Hey Reyna
    It's always a pleasure to read your post, you help me to see research in a much broader scope. Thank you for sharing your families story and good luck in your future online courses.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bea.
      I have also enjoyed reading your discussions and blogs. I also learned valuable information from all of you. Best of luck to you too.

      Reyna

      Delete
  3. My experience has been similar to yours in many ways. One thing that I specifically relate to is your mention of learning new terms pertaining to quality research. I have a much better understand of what research consists of after taking this class. In the past, I was exposed to research that consisted of forming a hypothesis, but I now have an appreciation of qualitative and mixed-methods approaches where the goal is more about describing life experiences than proving or disproving a hypothesis. I have grown in my knowledge of quality research over the last eight weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reyna,
    Thank you for another great course together. I enjoy reading and learning from your prospective, especially as a professional working with children and families in their homes. I have much to learn from others working outside of the classroom. This course has been very helpful for me to learn and analyze thoughts, ideas and views that differ from my own or to give me insight to new ways of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reyna,
    Thank you for another great course together. I enjoy reading and learning from your prospective, especially as a professional working with children and families in their homes. I have much to learn from others working outside of the classroom. This course has been very helpful for me to learn and analyze thoughts, ideas and views that differ from my own or to give me insight to new ways of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reyna,
    As always, thank you for your support and involved feedback throughout this course. The beginning of this course was very challenging for me because it took a great deal of time reading resources more than once to better grasp what I was reading. I am now thankful for this course as I feel it has prepared me even more to be a scholarly student. Good luck as we move into the next course!
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reyna, I would like to take the time to say I always enjoy our insights. I have followed your through most all of these courses we have taken and I always seem to learn and grow through your post.
    Throughout this course I too was nervous about all the lingo and being able to understand the whole concept of research. Research in my eyes is extremely important to betting not only the early childhood field, but all other fields as well. This makes the information in research extremely important and is necessary that there is reliable information in order to create a positive difference. I feel that finding reliable research is one of the most important topics I have learned in this course.
    I do you plan to use your knew insights throughout your career?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that should say, How do you plan to use your new insights throughout your career?

      Delete