Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression




 Blog: The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression 
  • What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
About 3 years ago, I was hired by a real estate company to work the front office and help with accounting. Everyone that works there is white and I am Latina. The office manager had her daughter train me on my first day and at the end of the day she asked her daughter in front of me; "How did she do". Her daughter responded; "She did great! She answered the phone and tended the clients and even learned how to input information in the system". Then her mom (the office manager) said "I'm surprised. She's actually one of the smart ones". 
  • In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
I think that the specific bias and prejudice in this incident diminished equity in the way that I was not given a fair chance from the get go. I was labeled and stereotyped by my surface culture and was paid less than others because of my race and culture. 
  • What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
I felt awkward, sad, frustrated, mad and let down. I did not think that it was fair for her judge me before even getting to know me and to put me on the spot and ask such question in front of me. I never felt comfortable after that incident because I knew how she felt about Latinos. 
  • What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?
The office manager is definitely the one that would have to change. She needs not to discuss her employees performance in front of them and should give everyone the opportunity and fair chance. I have my real estate sales person license and experience in managing the front office, but she chose to overlook those aspects and focus more on my race and on the stereotypes.  


13 comments:

  1. Hey Reyna
    I totally agree that awareness is the key to changing many mindset. We need to be informed and help others how to treat each other with fairness. GREAT POST!
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reyna, it is so unfortunate that at times we are judged by our surface culture. Some people are so blunt with it without even realizing it. Many people have missed out on great opportunities because of their biases and prejudices. Thank you for sharing a personal incident.
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very unfortunate, but it happens more than we can imagine. It would be nice to not judge and get to know others for they have many great things to offer.

      Reyna

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I cannot believe the nerve and ignorance of some people. I am not sure I could have held it together if someone made such an insensitive and ridiculous comment in front of me. I am glad we are learning about micro aggressions and the impact they have on people's self-esteem and self-identity. It would be very beneficial if all degrees included this. Obviously, the lady you mentioned could have benefited from this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Christie. I think that everyone cam benefit and it is something that should be taught early on...maybe in high school. I know I would have liked it if I learned earlier on.

      Reyna

      Delete
  4. Reyna,
    I do not know how you were able to handle witnessing the conversation they were having right in front of you, like you were invisible. The woman is teaching her own daughter to behave just as she does, and thus, the cycle will continue. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very uncomfortable Sandra. It was my first day too. It is sad because I know that she will continue to do the same to others.

      Reyna

      Delete
  5. Reyna
    I am sorry for the situation that you experienced. It is sad that people not only think that way, but have the audacity to talk right in front of you in saying the things that they said. Not giving a person the opportunity to prove through there work definitely undermines the possibility they can bring to a business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Reyna, sorry for your experience with a person that clearly had no idea of respect. I think it would be a great challenge for that person to change her attitude and behavior towards others. I am not saying it cannot be done. However, change for some is a difficult task when they have spent years practicing the art of being prejudice.
    Regards,
    Vivian Lopes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reyna,
    Wow. I can't believe someone would say that. It just shows you how people don't respect others and totally stereotype people without even knowing them. That would be very hard to get over and continue working there. I hope you have gone on to better things.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Yes I only worked there for a few months. I left because I didn't like the way that they all made fun of their tenants, especially the Latino tenants and the elderly. It is so sad because they make a living out of them and as humans, should be kind and respectful even if they personally do not like them or they should get a different type of job where they don't have to interact with diverse people. So sad.

      Reyna

      Delete
  8. Wow Reyna,
    As a Latina, I have never had anyone covertly stereotype me in this way. I am very sorry this happened to you. Do you agree with the Catch 22 presented in our videos that if you had said something, it would have seemed rude or like an over-reaction? I think responding to this microaggression would have been very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reyna, thank you for sharing your story. As I go through this program and learn how to be a leader, stories like these make me frustrated, but also teach me many lessons that will help me be a productive leader. As a manager she needs to have the professionalism to not discuss performance in front of the employee, unless it's with them personally. I struggle to comprehend how someone can make those microaggressions without even hesitating. Thank you again for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete