Thursday, March 16, 2017

My Personal Research Journey

My Personal Research Journey

My chosen topic for the simulation is: 

Parental involvement in school life encourages educational success.

I chose this topic because it is very important for parents to be involved in their child's development and school life. When children feel cared for and important, they tend to do better in school and in all areas of their development and we all benefit from their success. 



Parents who are involved in their child's education create a connection between the home and school. Those who participate along with their child are privy to the many aspects of their child's day. At home, they are able to replicate and extend activities that their child experiences in school. An astute parent will pick up where the school left off and have an intuitive sense for what their child may need to work on to increase his competency and confidence. Ideas gleaned from the classroom give the parent inspiration for home activities that coincide with classroom tasks. Involved parents learn the names of various children in their child's class. They have a sense of who their child's friends are, who may be causing them trouble and how their own child is getting along in the group (Peck, 2014).

  • My personal experience with this simulation process has been a bit overwhelming. There is so much information and putting it all together on paper has been challenging for me. I know that I will get better as we go. 
  • The insights I have gained so far from constructing the research chart and from any other element of this course has been that there is so much information that I was not aware of and I am learning the steps of the research process. I am also learning new terms and learning how to search for literature that is current and valid.



Reference
Peck, A. (2014) The Importance of Parent Involvement in Early Childhood Education. Retrieved March 13, 2017, from livestrong.com

7 comments:

  1. Reyna I enjoyed your post. I agree with you. Children need support from parents in classroom. When children have parent support in the classroom it easier to support their children in the home with home work. It's important to make sure the parents know how knowledgeable they are to the education process.
    Camela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camela,
      Sometimes is hard to get parents involved, but it is very important because that helps everyone to be on the same page and continue working towards the goals of the child. Parents know their children best so they can provide a lot of knowledge too.

      Reyna

      Delete
  2. Hey Reyna, your research topic is similar to the topic in which I have selected for myself. Parents are the main foundation of their kids education, this subject area is very broad and interesting.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea,
      That is nice. I cannot wait to read your blogs and learn from you about this topic.

      Reyna

      Delete
  3. Reyna, I always enjoy reading your blog and understanding your work. I have seen both sides of this spectrum and the differences in the children. I have seen this in high school and in early childhood care and education. I hope that you find information that can help me to better support families involvement. I also am interested in over involvement. We discuss and hear a lot about getting parents involved, but can there be a problem with over involving parents? Is there such a thing as parent involvement being to much of a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      I think that it is a good idea to always set boundaries and ruleshe because some parents and I have witnessed it, that they want to have complete control of the classroom and situations and it is not about that. It is about building a partnership and working together for the common goal. As long as the roles are clear and everyone understands, I don't think that there is a problem.

      Reyna

      Delete
  4. Hi Reyna, you have chosen a great topic. I work for Head Start and we work very hard to get parents engaged in their child's learning. It is hard but it is also worth the effort. I have found that you have to get the parents invested. As their child's early childhood teacher it is more important for us to build the foundation for the future. This includes getting parents to be informed, engaged, and involved in their child's education. I look forward to hearing for on your topic. Kelly

    ReplyDelete