Wednesday, July 5, 2017

EDUC-6165 Blog Assignment Week 1




  • Think of someone (e.g., family member, celebrity, politician, friend, or professor) who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context. What behaviors does this person exhibit that make him or her effective? Would you want to model some of your own communication behaviors after this person? Why or why not?
                                                                                                                                                                                     
I can think of many people that I know that demonstrate competent communication skills, but the one person that stands out to me is my best friend Gisela. Gisela is a good listener and she displays good body language. When I communicate with her, she uses eye contact, engages in back and forth communication when needed, shows respect, empathy, asks questions, is open minded, and her tone of voice is friendly. I never have to worry about her being on her phone or getting 
distracted with other things.

          


I definitely want to model all communication behaviors after Gisela because she has great communication behaviors and makes everyone feel respected and important when talking with her. She gives her full attention and is very wise when giving back feedback. She observes and analyses things before making any comments. 



5 comments:

  1. I feel that when I though of effective communication I focused on times at work, because many cannot be on their phones. I know that I am guilty when my family or friends are trying to have a conversation I will get on my phone and I cannot explain why I do this. I wish that phones were not a distraction and I only get on my phone a few times or check it. I try to give everyone my attention and show them the respect that they deserve. Your friend sounds like a good person to go to with concerns and good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      Yes my friend is great when it comes to sharing with her any concerns or good news. She pays full attention and doesn't get distracted at all. I on the other hand, can get pretty distracted, but I am working on it. It is hard to change our habits, but not impossible. When it comes to the cell phone, I try my best not to check it unless I am waiting for an important text or phone call and I let people know ahead of time. Other than that, I shove it inside my purse so I will not be tempted. I am a work in progress.

      Reyna

      Delete
  2. Gisela sounds like a great friend! I am also guilty of being distracted by my phone at times. We have a rule of no phones in the classroom, so that is great but reading this about your friend reminds me to be a better friend and just enjoy the moment at hand. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reyna,
    It sounds like Gisela would be a great friend to go to for comfort and advice. It is important to have friends that will be open and honest to you and truly mean it when they say they are there for you. Body language is also important because it is possible for a person to say one thing but their body language says something different. Thank you for sharing information about your amazing friend.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Reyna,
    Gisela sounds so much like my friend Cora who share the same communication skills. It is important when communicating with people that they feel respected and valued.
    Thanks for sharing
    Beatrice

    ReplyDelete