Friday, July 14, 2017

EDUC 6165-Week 2


Blog Assignment-Week 2
As you have been learning, communication is not always straightforward. Everyone, at some time or another, makes assumptions based on messages communicated through body language and facial expressions.

For this assignment, again consider what you have been learning about communication skills and styles. Then record an episode of a television show you do not normally watch. Watch the show with the sound turned off.




The television show that I watched is FRIENDS. The episode title is: "THE ONE WITH MRS. BING."
  • What do you think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
The characters are obviously all friends and very good friends I would say. They seem to be very comfortable with each other. They speak to each other in a friendly manner as well as get in each others face. At times, they smiled and seemed to be joking with each other and at other times, it seemed like if they yelled and got upset and even walked away slamming the door on their way out, but by the next minute, they were together again and smiling with each other.


What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?


Some of the feelings that I observed were of content because they seemed to be smiling a lot with each other. They also seemed to be upset with each other because they waved their arms,  frowned their faces and seemed to be raising their voices at each other. They also seemed to be very comfortable with each other because they smacked each others arms and shushed each other at times. I also saw sadness in one of the character's face (Ross) because his eyes were droopy and he slouched and dragged his feet when he walked. 



What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?


One of the assumptions that I made was that Chandler was upset and jealous of Ross because the older blond lady kissed him. I thought that Chandler had a crush on the lady, but it happens that the lady (Mrs. Bing) was his mother. I also thought that the lady wanted Ross because she kissed him, but in reality, she was trying to make him feel better because he was sad and depressed due to the fact that Rachel (his crush) was lovey dovey with her new boyfriend. 


The other assumption that I made was that Phoebe and Monica were tending to the guy that got ran over by the ambulance because it was their fault that he did and they felt bad. They both spent many days at the hospital caring for him. They shaved him, sang to him, and even dressed him. I found out that they were both interested in him romantically and did not really care that he was hurt. They both wanted him to see that they cared for him while he was in a coma and to get chosen to date. They had ulterior motives and were upset when he did not choose either one of them. 


  • Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
Yes, I do think that my assumptions would have been more correct if I would have been watching a show that I knew well because you get to know each character and how they act. I think that I am even able to picture the characters of the shows that I do watch in my head and can kind of predict how they are going to act or what they are going to say just by the fact that I do pay attention if something is interesting to me. 




Wow! Before watching this episode without sound, I did not know that I made so many assumptions. I basically changed the entire story. Now I know how important it is to not only listen, but to really understand what is being said and not assume because when we do not, misunderstanding happen and it is unfortunate when misunderstanding happen with the people that we work with, especially the children's families. Relationships are built on trust and a way to gain trust is through effective communicating with each other. 




6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy watching Friends. I have probably seen every episode more than once. As a matter of fact, one of my undergraduate writing classes that I took in the late 1990's focused on this specific television show for the entire semester. We were required to watch the episodes and analyze the writing. It is interesting how communication can be misinterpreted when we do not have both the verbal and nonverbal parts of communication. You are correct. Misunderstanding of communication can negatively impact our workplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie,
      I can see why you like this show. After watching this episode, I found it very funny and interesting. I think that I will watch it from now on. I would like to continue making observations and learn from it. Thanks for the feedback.

      Reyna

      Delete
  2. Reyna,
    I enjoyed that you watched Friends, as I did too. I had never seen the show and felt like it would be a good one to watch. I also caught on that they were friends and happy together even though they had moments where they argued. In the section where you did not hear sounds you said that they were raising their voice toward each other, how did you make that assumption?
    Your insights to this activity is some similar to mine. I never understood how important it is to understand the culture and individuals to understand the communication. I too made many assumptions and did not see the characters for who they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      I think that this show was a good show to observe because of the dynamic of the participants. I thought that They were yelling or raising their voice because of the facial expressions. I said that they frowned and the way that they moved their hands/arms..body and face language.

      Reyna

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda
    Friends was a show I did not watch but it appeared you brought it to life for me. It made me get a sense of understanding when it came to friends being happy to be friends and be together. It showed the good and bad side to friendship. Your analogy of the show was great it also gave insight to other cultures interpretation of friendship. Great post!
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reyna

    Reading your blog was very enlightening about communication! How we choose to communicate with family, friends and co-workers will demonstrate to them who we are as an individual. I use to watch friends as well and amongst the group, they did communicate a lot with each other, each cast member had their strength/ weakness that they develop throughout their communicate process which has help me to see the improvements that I need to make in my daily conversation with people.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete