Tuesday, July 25, 2017

EDUC-6165 Week 4


My scores for the assessments are as follows:

Listening Style: 38-(group 1: people oriented) “You are empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others. This style helps you to build relationships, but it can interfere with proper judgement because you tend to be very trusting of others.

Verbal Aggressiveness Scale: 61-(moderate)“You maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attacking the facts of a position rather than the person attacking that position.


Communication Anxiety Inventory: 30-(Low) “You reported that you feel comfortable communicating in most situations and feel confident in anticipating such encounters. 

There were more similarities than differences between how I evaluated myself as a communicator and how my husband and my co-worker evaluated me. The scores for Listening Style and Communication Anxiety had similar scores and Verbal Aggressiveness Scale was the one that was a little bit different. On the Verbal Aggressiveness scale I evaluated myself as moderate and they evaluated me as LOW. Even though moderate and low are very similar, they did mention that even though I am very respectful, I try very hard to change people's minds, ideas, and/thoughts, especially when we are discussing a topic that I feel passionate about. 

Being able to hear how others perceive me as a communicator, helps me to evaluate myself and improve on what needs improvement. I did not know that I may come across as trying to change people's thoughts and ideas by being persistent or by pushing my own ideas on them so even though I will stay true to my ideas and beliefs and who I am, I am going to try to be more conscious when I communicate with others. I don't want people to feel that I don't value their thoughts, opinions, and/or ideas. I want to be able to have open communication with everyone and encourage them to share their own ideas with me. I will try to find other techniques and learn how to  recognize cultural differences, learn about people's backgrounds, beliefs, and ask as many questions as I need to so I can get to know that person better (O'Hair et al., 2015). 




Reference:


O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J.  (2015). Real communication (3rd. 

             ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's. 

11 comments:

  1. Reyna,
    I think it is fantastic that you are taking the time to reflect on not only the scores, but what they mean and how you apply them. I feel that there is nothing wrong with debating your opinion and thoughts in a respectful way, and sometimes it is important to have others see your opinion/view and yes, try to change their mind. This goes to say without being disrespectful. Although it is great to change and grow, never stop being who you are and disregarding your own thoughts and views (not that you were)...just remain true to yourself. I really enjoyed this activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,
      I will always stay true to who I am and what I believe in, but I will find different ways to make my point across and state my opinion and yes..try to influence them. I will be more cautious and listen more and try to understand them and what they are trying to say and what they mean. Thank you for your feedback.

      Reyna

      Delete
  2. Hey Reyna,
    These scores are cool and it is great how we can actually see results of how we communicate with individuals and in public. Your score are very much similar to the results that I got doing it myself. Based on these scores we can see where we need to improve better. Great post
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reyna,
    I love how you shared your actual scores. We have more similarities than differences with our scores. I was also people-oriented in my listening style, and moderate in my verbal aggressiveness. We differ when it comes to communication anxiety. I scored a 41 and fell in the category of mild. It was very interesting what others thought of our communication styles. I have decided to have my peers at work take the assessment as well to help me in my journey of becoming a more effective communicator. Thanks for sharing.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla,
      I am a visual person and reading and seeing them has helped me. I know that we all did the same activity, but I don't remember the scores and what they mean from the top of my head so I thought that it would be good to actually share them with you guys. Thanks for the feedback.

      Reyna

      Delete
  4. I like how you mentioned that you will purposefully ask more questions of those you communicate with so that you have a greater understanding of their thoughts and ideas. Asking questions helps us understand more fully, and it makes the other person know that we are listening, interested, and engaged in the conversation. I think it builds trust between the communicators because questions show our interest and concern about what is being discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,
      I think that asking questions helps us to know more and maybe even clear up some misunderstanding or clarify what we think the other person has said. Thanks for the feedback.

      Reyna

      Delete
  5. Hi Reyna
    This whole exercise was great. It really blew my mind on how people viewed me the way I viewed myself. I was glad my volunteers were honest to a point that I could recognize my faults and conquer my assets. It was a great idea to see how much we could trust our evaluators to see how good of communicator we were. Your post was great.
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine,
      I thought that it was great too. I enjoyed it and learned so much more about myself.

      Reyna

      Delete
  6. Reyna,
    Sounds like the insights you gained will help you set goals to better improve your communication. I believe in being confident in our beliefs and it is ok to communicate those beliefs to others, but I can see how that may come off as pushy to others. I do not know you personally, so I cannot say that you are the type of person to push your beliefs on others, but I have seen others do that. I like that you scored similar to those who evaluated you, I was close on a few but others I was far off. It was great to learn how the way others perceive us is different from our own perceptions.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      Yes, getting feedback from others helped me to see where and what I need to change or improve.

      Reyna

      Delete