Wednesday, July 19, 2017

EDUC-6165 Week 3





  • Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
          When I worked as a parent facilitator and as I home base teacher, I observed myself changing gears a lot when it came to the way that I communicated with each individual family/person. I worked with families from different cultural backgrounds as well as from different age groups so I had to communicate with them in a way that they understood what I was saying. I also had to use different terminology, especially with my Latino families since some words have different meanings in the Spanish language. I remember that one time I used the word "fresco" which to me means fresh, but to my Colombian family it meant "calm down/chill out."  To my Guatemalan family it meant "juice" and to one of my Mexican families from the state of Guerrero, it meant "gay". This is just one example of the many things that I have experienced through out my career in the early childhood field. 

          I also see this happening in my personal life as well because I have been living in a cul de sac for the past 7 years and I have Vietnamese, Filipino, Mexican, Caucasian, and Cambodian neighbors. 

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?

I use different communication styles with each neighbor, especially with the ones that I do not know very well. 
  • My neighbor from Vietnam is very friendly. She greets me with a hug and we laugh a lot together. When we talk, I make a lot of eye contact and I sometimes even place my hand on her shoulder depending on the topic. With her, I also use a louder tone of voice because her tone is loud and I feel comfortable. I also reinforce with body language with what I am saying since her English is limited and sometimes she does not fully understand what I mean. 
  • With my neighbor from the Philippines, I use a soft tone of voice, make eye contact, and I mostly just ask how his children are doing and nothing more. 
  • My neighbors from Mexico are a young family of four and we just smile and wave at each other because they are very private and keep to themselves.
  • My caucasian neighbor is an older lady and we do not see each other a lot, but when we do, we greet each other. I use a soft tone of voice, make eye contact, nod, ask questions, I have good posture so she can know that I am listening to her, and I wait until she's completely done speaking before I speak. 
  • I have two neighbors from Cambodia. We don't really communicate with each other and what I have noticed is that they also do not communicate with any of the other neighbors besides with each other. I have seen that they greet each other and say a few words in their language, but they do not even look my way. I also turn my face and try not to make eye contact because I really do not know how to even begin a conversation with them. They are also older people and they keep to themselves. One day the mailman left their mail in my mailbox and I went over, rang the door bell, and I could see that they were in the living room watching television, but they did not come to the door so I left their mail in their mailbox and left. 

Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified.
The three strategies that I am going to use to help me communicate more effectively are:

1. I will definitely try to learn more about the different cultures, especially the Cambodian culture so I can begin to build a relationship with my neighbors or so I can at least understand where they are coming from. I think that if I at least greet them it would be a win for me because we have been neighbors for 7 years and I don't even know their names.
2. Identifying something that I may have in common instead of the differences. Identifying something that people have in common helps build bridges (Beebe et al, 2011). 

3. Another strategy that I would use is to have an open mind and not stereotype or make assumption because not every person from the same culture shares the same values, beliefs, or point of views. We have learned that their own personal experiences shapes the way that they see the world. 

Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.















11 comments:

  1. Reyna,
    Your three strategies sound like great ways for you to build bridges with your neighbors. Many times, people appreciate that someone has taken the time to learn about who they are and where they come from. Hopefully, your neighbors will appreciate your sincerity. Additionally, finding common ground with another is a great way to start or strengthen a relationship. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of focusing on what you have in common with other people instead of the differences. I lived in Okinawa, Japan for a year while my husband was in the Marine Corp. None of my neighbors spoke English, and we were different in many ways, but I could find common ground with my neighbors because they had great respect for their ancestors. I shared a common bond with Okinawans because I was raised to honor and respect my elders and my ancestors. That gave us something in common even though we spoke different languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Christie.
      Many people do not even try to build relationships because they feel that they have nothing in common, but once we give ourselves a chance, we find out that other people have great qualities and wonderful ideas and customs that we can learn from.

      Reyna

      Delete
  3. Hi Reyna
    Focusing on commonality in people to me brings about understanding Building relationship with nonverbal communication is wonderful. especially when I view everyday activity that I have the simple waving of a hand to a neighbor and the bond that develops from those waves is amazing in regards to the relationship that is develop from it. Just the other day I had a chance to meet a neighbor who I have wave to for several years who just learned to speak English recently and she said those waves inspired her to want to really communicate with me because I was always kind to her when she felt alone in this strange place with no one to communicate with. Great post.
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!
      I have started to wave to my neighbors and even the ones that did not wave before, waved at me yesterday. It feel nice to be able to connect in one way or another. Thanks for the idea!!!

      Reyna

      Delete
  4. Reyna,
    Great post. Your strategies are a great way to connect on a deeper level which will allow for effective communication between different culture. I believe that we should take a positive view and not a negative by looking at what we have in common and not the differences. If we stay positive then we will be able to connect better.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reyna
    I have always hear my folks say that "just taking the time to ask someone how their day went" or waved HELLO is more significant then anything else. I believe that is what effective communication is by making sure the other people has understood the language or action that was spoken/ performed. Usually that's all is needed is to take the time to connect with that person or individual. Great post, enjoyed reading it.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea,
      It is so true. I hike a lot and the majority of people always that we see on the trails say "hi or good morning", but there are also some that walk by you and don't even answer back when you say it to them. It feels awkward, but that doesn't stop us from greeting others.

      Reyna

      Delete
  6. Reyna,
    You provided such vivid examples. It brought about such an "ah-ha" moment that one word can have so many different meanings and have the potential to offend someone. This is a great example of the importance of taking time to become familiar with other cultures. Your example of your neighborhood also resinated with me. My family is the only African American family in my neighborhood. We are very friendly with the neighbors across the street, but the others tend to shy away from us, so I do the same. After reading your post, I am going to make more of an effort to at least wave my hand or verbally speak. Thank you for sharing.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priscilla.
      After writing my post, I also decided that it is time for me to make an effort and try to at least wave at them. Good luck to you too.

      Reyna

      Delete